Monday, August 2, 2010

Summer of Skirts - Anthropologie Ruffled Skirt Tutorial






Here it finally is - the anthropologie inspired skirt tutorial! There are two ways to do this. One is to make the whole skirt yourself using a knit fabric, and the other is to take an existing pencil or slim a-line skirt you already have and add the ruffles to it. If you choose to do the latter, simply skip to the ruffle steps below.

What you need:
- About a yard of knit fabric, depending on your size (see step 1 for details). This will be the main fabric - mine was grey.
- Two contrasting fabrics, about 1/4 to 1/8 each.



I made this skirt have a half lining to it because the knit was so thin. So, I had extra fabric along the inside.

Step 1: Measure around the widest part of your hips. Add 2 to that measurement. This is w. Also, measure how long you want the skirt to be, and how long you want the extra lining material to be - usually just enough to cover your rear is good- and add it to itself. This is L. Next, cut out two strips of skirt measuring L by w.


I'm sorry I didn't get pictures of this part. If you have questions let me know!

Step 2: Mark where your length measurement of the skirt ends (so you should have a mark between the extra lining fabric you added and the actual length you want your skirt to be). Fold the fabric at that point, so you wind up with a fold at the waistband, the normal skirt on one side, and the lining part on the other. Do this on both pieces of fabric, and then pin them together so the lining part is on the OUTSIDE.


Step 3: You might want to curve the top of the skirt, depending on where you want your skirt to sit. I wanted mine to sit on my waist, so I curved it along the hips a bit - with the lining still pinned and the skirt folded (because you'll want the lining curved as well). If you need help with this, go here. Now, simply sew the sides together on your two pieces of fabric, and you'll wind up with your main skirt piece. Now turn the skirt right side out, and you're onto the ruffles!

Step 4: Cut contrasting fabric number 1 into strips that are 1.5 times as long as the skirt is around (you may need to sew multiple strips together). Gather this strip, pin, and sew along the bottom of the skirt along the right side. Don't worry, the raw edges will be hidden by the next ruffle.

Step 5: Cut a strip of contrasting fabric #2 so that it is the same length as the skirt width (all around). Gather it, then pin it starting about 1/3 of the way away from the side seam. Pin it all around the skirt, stopping about the same distance from the seam on the back side. Sew it in place.
Step 7: Now cut a strip 1.5 times the skirt (I'm just going to call the measurement around the skirt 'the skirt' now... ) of the original skirt material. Pin it onto the skirt, slanting it up over the contrast ruffle you just did, like shown in the picture below. You want to make sure it still covers all of the seams of the lower ruffle but slopes up subtly. Sew it on!
Step 7: Next is another partway ruffle! Ruffle a strip of contrast #1 that is about the same length as 'the skirt', and sew it on starting a little closer to the side seam than the white ruffle was. Once again, slope it up so it follows the line of the previous ruffle.

Step 8: Here is your final ruffle! Get another strip of the original skirt fabric that is 1.5 times the 'skirt length' and ruffle and sew it around. However, this time you will pin it facing UP, as shown in the horrible blurry picture below. Make sure you pin it quite close to the previous ruffle, as it will fold over (to hide the seam) and lose some of it's height.



Now, just flip the top ruffle down and iron. Ta da!










56 comments:

  1. This is just gorgeous! It looks just like the original! Thanks.

    www.modelmumma.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You delivered... Like there was any doubt! I am in love with this and will be making it as soon as I am finished with my daughter's room. Beautiful!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute! I can't wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank u very much for the tut ...this is gorgeous!!!!!!!!! beautiful pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done!
    I have this Anthropologie skirt on my list, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw, I have on my blog a tutorial for a short summer pleated skirt, if you'd like to check it out.
    http://just-chic.blogspot.com/2010/06/sophisticated-simplicity-in-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial! I was eye-ing this skirt on Anthro's website and hoping someone would do a tutorial on this. Thank you so much...I really enjoy your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you via Sew Spoiled's Top 10 - congratulations!! this is lovely, as is the photo shoot - love that stone wall.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome tutorial and nice inspiration, thank you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely and I very much appreciate the tutorial! Any advice on where to find such great colors of knits? My local stores are spotty with their knits and fabric.com doesn't have many sophisticated colors. If only Alabama Chanin wasn't so expensive...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all your kind words! Shelly - it actually took me quite a while to find the colors I wanted unfortunately. I just kept checking the remnants and the knit section at my local fabric store until something came in. I actually do like fabric.com - I don't know what color you're looking for but I've been able to find almost any color I want there for about $5 a yard. Try searching 'knit' if you aren't already - they hide out in different categories. I also have occasionally found colors I'm looking for at Joann's... sorry I couldn't be more help!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gorgeous skirt! Thanks for the tutorial.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful skirt! How did you finish the waist? Casing with elastic?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cherie - The waist did not need to be finished! That's what the curve through the hips was for - to allow the knit itself to serve as the elastic and stretch to put it on, but then fit the waist snugly. Sorry I didn't make that more clear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm working on this skirt right now, Amber, and have decided that you mean we should cut out two (2) rectangles of fabric L x (W/2), since you'll be sewing those two halves together to create the entire skirt. Does that sound right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shelly - Oh my, you are completely right!! So sorry. This is why I rely on my readers to point out my mistakes - no matter how many times I proofread I don't notice them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made this skirt out of an old floor length wool skirt. I used old skirt hems for the ruffles. It looks fabulous and thank you the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This skirt is fantastic! (your blog also!)
    This is now first thing on my to do it list!

    Lucija
    www.ovojesivalamojamama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE this! I gave you and award Amber! Check it out...

    http://thecraftycopycat.blogspot.com/2010/12/apparently-im-stylin.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've featured this project on AllFreeSewing.com in a special skirt collection. Hope you enjoy!

    16 Free Skirt Patterns

    Thanks again. Your projects are always popular with our readers!

    Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This is really lovely! Can't wait to make this skirt. Looks Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this skirt,and I l♥ve Anthropologie !!
    Thank you for this tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful (: Would be easy to turn into a sun dress... maybe I'll give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have created a similar item for a child: http://weddingdressblue.wordpress.com/2011/04/20/ruffle-skirt-for-easter/ ‎

    Thanks for your help on the ruffles

    ReplyDelete
  26. The ruffles are very beautiful. Thanks for sharing this.
    http://thendralscraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely skirt. What a wonderful setting for photos.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Totally love this, and made one like it! Thanks for your instructions! Take a look at mine when you get a chance
    http://craftingintherain.blogspot.com/2011/09/layered-ruffle-skirt.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. this very beautiful skirts setting i like it
    http://www.fashionforever21.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. thanks sharing i know girls who love skirts and have yours in mind - keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  31. What blend of knit did you use. I doesn't seem to roll up on the edges? I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tutorial!!! Does your skirt have a zipper in the back?

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love that you took the time to post these instructions for us! this is no fuss yet looks savvy! I'll post again once I make it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Are the ruffles all the way around the skirt, or just on the front? When I did my first ruffle, it only covered the bottom of the front of the skirt, and a little of the sides..

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thank you for posting this. I saw it when browsing for ideas yesterday and merrily started plotting the demise of an old dress, pair of leggings and vest top! I reinforced the waist with another layer from the vest top and a piece of elastic as I have small boys who pull on skirts and trousers and I was afraid it would come down otherwise! My husband just asked if I had run out of blue to go all the way around (I did both half ruffles in this colour as it was the way the fabric worked out), but I think I am pleased overall. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is so pretty! I never would've guessed it was knit from all the photo's on Pinterest!!

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love it. I am using this on to make a variation on a flamenco skirt. Thank you for putting it up!

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is an adorable pattern. I can't wait to get started! I'm absolutely stunned by our similarities...not only is my name also Amber and I love to sew and create anything unique but I'm an engineering student! I will be graduating in May with a Bachelors in Civil Engineering. I'm very happy I stumbled upon your website!

    ReplyDelete
  39. This worked out really great! I used a black pencil skirt that used to not be flattering on me because it was too tight around the bottom. After adding the black, green, and olive green ruffles, the skirt evened out and it looks pretty good now! THANKS :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Beautiful skirt! Want to make one for me and my 2 girls!Are the ruffles just along the front or do they go around the entire skirt? Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  41. We featured your knock off skirt today on our blog www.skirtfixation.com To see that post visit http://skirtfixation.com/2014/01/copycat-knock-skirts-skirt-designer/ Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi! can you please let me know if the ruffles are at the back too?
      thanks!

      Delete
  42. Incredible post! That was fascinating. I like your quality that you put into your post. Kindly do proceed with additional like this.

    ReplyDelete
  43. how wide are the riffles? 3"?

    ReplyDelete
  44. Very intresting post i have got here Thanks a lot,

    ReplyDelete
  45. Very beautiful skirt. And such is not so easy to sew because it is knit fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I LOVE this skirt and will be making it soon. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Beautiful. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  48. The airy nature of the fabric provides a soft contrast to the straight shape of the body. The swirls and flow of the fabric will also soften the overall effect and make for an elegant vision. stoned emoji

    ReplyDelete
  49. Your blogs are great.Are you also searching for Nursing evidence-based practice writing services ? we are the best solution for you. We are best known for delivering the best nursing writing services to students without having to break the bank.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails