Saturday, July 17, 2010

Summer of Skirts - Men's Dress Shirt Refashion Tutorial


I've been noticing that there are a lot of skirts right now that look like they were made from button down shirts, and it gave me an idea. I had a skirt from my grandpa that was a really nice light cotton, and I thought it'd be perfect for a skirt! Here's some of the pictures that inspired me - and might give you some ideas!




I decided to keep my buttons in the back though - although the skirt could pretty much go either way! There was a placket that went over the buttons on this shirt, so the buttons wouldn't be exposed anyway. This tutorial is going to be really simple, because it is pretty much the same thing as the red bow skirt.

What you need:

- A men's dress shirt (or a woman's - it depends on how big or how long you want your skirt to be)
-Interfacing for the waistband

Step one: Cut the collar and sleeves off of the shirt. Decide how long you want your skirt to be, and trim the shirt down from the top (so you can keep the hem on the bottom of the shirt). Trim the sides so they smoothly go up to the top in one line.


Step Two: Follow steps here to complete the rest of the skirt, but omit the zipper.

There are three options for this skirt: Have the tie and buttons in the back, like I did, have the tie and buttons in front, or have the buttons in front and the tie in back. If you do this last option, you'll need to add a zipper - the buttons are what allow you to put the skirt on and off without a zipper!



So go hit the thrift store and find some awesome men's shirts, and if you make one I'd love it if you send me the picture or link! If I get pictures I'll post them with a link back to you :)

Also - my camera died and I lost the charger, so I'm borrowing my roommates camera which I obviously don't know how to use... I don't know why my background is in focus and I'm not! So sorry about the blown out pictures.




18 comments:

  1. Cute skirt. Your grandfather had a really hip shirt with that print :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh what a great idea! I've bookmarked this page and will definitely be on the look out for shirts to cut up (my boyfriend has an old dark blue denim levi's shirt that I've had my eye on for a while...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh goodness...i can't explain in a comment how excited i am about your up-and-coming tutorials!! i just love your blog...soooo fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great looking skirts, kind of an old vintage retro look that I find to look great with alot of clothes, for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Men's shirt that you made into a skirt tutorial! What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me and my friend were arguing about an issue similar to this! Now I know that I was right. Thanks for the information you post. Keep posting in this site.

    Hi vis

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting article. Well when there is so much a new. Thanks, simply class

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice skirts! I like all of them! I'll try to find the same ones in my city.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Where does the red skirt come from ?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea. I can't wait to try this out. Any advice for an absolute noob at sewing?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Black and Red!! so cool looks. Pink with Blue also combines good. Like it

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so cute. may i ask for the source for the pictures you used for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think today, most clothing is designed for the mass market, especially casual and every-day wear.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Summer over... when will be sale for this nice things?

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just another one of your brilliant articles. Truth be said, you are one of the most brilliant man I've ever seen on the internet. You views are so great and they tell us that you are quite mature for your age. I would like you to continue on this brilliant exhibition. pool power salt cell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you want to Home meditation courses Light Watkins has been providing meditation course from many year in new york.Get the best meditation audio course online and best personal trainer now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do you want to learn meditation online? Light Watkins has been providing meditation course from many year in new york.Get the best meditation audio course online and best personal trainer now.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails