Thursday, June 10, 2010

Sewing Basics - Hem (no raw edges!) Tutorial


I know this one is pretty obvious, but I went a long time simply folding up the raw edge of what I wanted to hem and then sewing it. This winds up with a lot of fraying and looks icky, so I just wanted to put this tutorial out for the beginners!

Step 1: Iron the raw edge up about 1/4 inch all the way around where you want to hem.

Step 2: Fold the fabric up again, so the raw edge is tucked inside and iron.



Step 3: Stitch along the hem - sorry, I forgot to take a picture of the end. But it's pretty obvious...


That's it, you're done!

5 comments:

  1. This is a great little post on an important skill. I can't find your email...but I'd love to talk to you about a sewing 101 series I'm writing on my blog, and I'd love to have you share this or something similar as a guest post. Email me at burleyaudio (at) gmail (dot) com. Thanks!
    Chris @ Pickup Some Creativity

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great! Thank you so much, you're a great help for all of us who recently entered the magic world of sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was so helpful, I am new to sewing and having a hard time understanding the lingo. It always helps me to see a visual. Thanks again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trista - I'm glad it's helped you! If you have any other questions at all, just send me an email and I'd be glad to help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. much more simple than the stupid directions on the "simplicity" patter I bought. thanks

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails